Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Busy work days

I've been on the phone at work the past two days looking for shops in the Manchester area that either sell LCD TVs or prams (baby pushchairs) for our TV show. It's one thing if the stores sell the items we want: it's another if they will agree for us to shoot video in their store. The big name chain stores obviously don't like the idea, and it's so difficult now to find independent electronics or baby shops in the big cities near where we want to shoot. Getting their permission is an even bigger chore, but luckily I'm leaving that part of it to the main researchers.

The situation looked bleak yesterday, but somehow we managed to find enough TV stores and Pram shops today to use for their shoot tomorrow. We all worked really hard to find these shops, and a few of us were feeling proud of ourselves after we got all of them, but then the director came in to tell us we needed to find a shop that sells electric cookers (stove & oven) that was nearby the city centre. This proved nearly impossible, because A)All the appliance shops in the city centre are chain stores, and B) Most of those outside the centre had closed by the time I started calling. The researcher said not to worry about it, and told me I did a good job today, so I felt a little better about putting all that work in.

I sort of wonder if when the show was originally developed they anticipated running into these speed bumps. It's a good idea for a show, but it's really difficult to get these store owners to catch onto it.

I've just been informed that I'm going to Manchester tomorrow for the shoot. I wasn't anticipating this, but that's fine nonetheless. I get out of the office and see another part of England, even if it is for a short while for work. Maybe I can convince them to let me see Liverpool as well while I'm up there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home