Thursday, March 30, 2006

Update since last Friday

On Saturday I went to Kempton Park racecourse, which was pretty cool. I had enough trouble just getting there, though, as a few train stations were down for some reason and I had to run around for an hour and a half trying to find the right station to get me to the course.

Luckily, I got there in time, and the first race was delayed anyways so I didn't miss anything out. I did bet on a few horses, but the only time I won I received £4.80 for a £2 bet, and my earnings were spent on beer. Horse racing isn't the most appealing thing to me, but then again I don't know much about it and don't have much money to throw around like a lot of people at the race track. Plus, the only excitement comes within the last 30 seconds, because that's the only time you can see the horses up close and know who's actually winning. I'd rather gamble on something I have better control over, like poker.

Sunday I went to the British Library, where I saw some old bibles, some Mozart manuscripts and some handwritten Beatles lyrics, which was pretty cool. The exhibition side of the library was smaller than I thought, but worth going to anyways. I also revisited the British Museum and walked around the Temple (of Da Vinci code fame), but there wasn't much open inside.

I just interviewed this morning with the production company mentioned before that does corporate video. It's a small operation, but it looks like I'd be able to get right in and do some hands-on video work. They mostly produce internal company videos, and they do things for Nokia and Transport for London. I'm not as skeptical of it as I was going into the interview, and the head honcho did work for the BBC for 18 years or so, so I can talk to him about the broadcast experience.

But I do have another interview at 1:00 with Flame TV, which produces documentaries for various channels. I was leaning towards this when I heard about the opportunity, but luckily this interview will let me know what they have to offer me.

I still feel a little bad about leaving the newspaper, and some people at the office want to keep me there, but I know I'm making the right decision because I want to know as much about TV and video production as I can before I go back to (most likely) being a news producer at NBC15. It may not be news, but it's practical stuff I should know about.

I got another quirky historical sports assignment in finding out that this one stadium use to run cheetahs against greyhounds back in the 1950s. Cheetahs! Finding little historical nuggets seems to be my patch now, which is alright by me being a history major and all.

Looo is coming from Paris this weekend, so I'm excited and we should have a good time. I'll probably be visiting the rest of the continent for a week when I'm done at the end of April, but I haven't decided whether I want to go alone or with a friend or maybe on a vacation tour company.

My time is almost up, but I'm feeling better about my situation right now and should be able to make my decision tonight about what I want to go into.

1 Comments:

At 10:31 AM, Blogger Brad V said...

Hey, Scott - a warm hello from Pat Hastings. I saw her the other night at the Rathskellar.

Best wishes with the big decisions; they're coming my way rapidly now, too.

Must say, the Edinburgh pics were pretty cool.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home