Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Survived my first day

Nothing too exciting happened my first day of work. I had to fill out a bunch of paperwork. I've still yet to learn everything I'm supposed to do, but it looks like I'll be listening in on the police scanners quite a bit as well as checking the wires for stories, answering calls and helping with transferring video.

There were a couple of issues today with transferring video between stations. There's a complicated hierarchy of affiliates with whom we share video, and there are several different ways we transfer it, so often times we'll first need to get video by internet and then turn around and send it by a microwave system to a different station, and tonight we had trouble taking the file from our computer and putting it into video, so there was a little panic, but no one could really do anything about it.

There was also an accident that we sent a photographer to go out and cover, but he ended up not getting video because of some miscommunication and the story was dropped. Ah, the life of spot news...

I'm going in early tomorrow so that the dayside assignment editor can show me more about how to do stuff. Should be exciting.

1 Comments:

At 8:43 PM, Blogger That Girl said...

Ah you sound like me in the beginning! Hang in there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home