Thursday, March 23, 2006

Standing at the crossroads

After an emotional (at least on my side) talk with my editor, I decided to pursue a different internship for the month that I have left here. The newspaper just didn't seem to fit me right, although I'm really glad I came here because it gave me a sense of what news is like over here and it reinforced my decision to go into broadcast. My editor agreed that since I'm almost guaranteed a broadcast news producer job when I get back, it makes sense to find something that will help me towards that. She's been really helpful and encouraging throughout this internship.

Broadcast jobs are so tough to get here though because there are so few outlets and they're highly competitive. I contacted the BBC today about a placement and they replied that there are certain restrictions for non-EEA citizens blah blah blah it takes three months to process applications blah blah blah - basically I'm not getting in there anytime soon.

My internship program director is trying to find me a new placement, and she gave me a short list of placements that sound alright. My editor encouraged me to contact some companies myself, although I feel a bit sketch working under the nose of someone I paid to find me an internship. The best bets seem to be the independent production companies that make documentaries and other TV programs, and I think I would enjoy working in that environment. After taking the Comm Arts media production course last fall I've been thinking more and more about making documentaries, and the Brits are full of great documentary programs.

I do feel bad leaving now, especially after the sports editor praised me for my work on a big historical feature I did on a local race track. I get a whole page devoted to my work in next week's paper, which is exciting. But at the same time I feel what I'm doing is right, and my editor said I should put my own needs over the needs of everyone else because this experience is all about what I want to do with my life. I'll definitely miss my coworkers, but at least I'll still have the chance to meet up with them on the weekends.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home