Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Response to comment

In response to a few questions:

My favorite place I've visited in London so far is probably the British Museum, just because I'm a history buff and this place has artifacts from all over the world dating back to very ancient civilizations. I think I enjoy it just because there's no museum like it in the U.S.

I think overall Bath is the most beautiful place I've been to so far. A few fellow interns made the comment that they wished London was more like Bath, just because a lot of places around London are too modern and remind them of New York City. I think that's true to a certain extent, though it depends on which part of the city you go to. The 'city' proper and Holborn have preserved a lot of the old architecture, including pubs nice looking pubs, but these can be next to some huge modern skyscrapers. I like how proud many Londoners people are of keeping a sense of history with their buildings, but it seems like of the number of people who feel this way is dwindling.

I've not driven a car and don't plan to, just because I don't really have access to one and am fearful about driving on the wrong side of the road. On a related note, I do find the crosswalks helpful as they point in the direction a pedestrian is supposed to look. Drivers are also more likely here to stop for someone on a crosswalk, which is much appreciated.

Accents can be difficult to deal with, but the trick is to know where they're from first and adjust your ears accordingly. My Liverpudlian coworker said he couldn't understand a girl from Philadelphia because he thought her accent was Scottish, but once he realized she was from the U.S. he was able to understand her better. I've been trying out the word "cheers" at the end of telephone conversations, and though I might get a little flak from coworkers, in the end it feels more natural to say that to Brits than "thanks." The hardest accents to deal with come from a Scottish or Irish background. Probably the one person I don't like to deal with works behind the ticket counter at the tube station, because he's really difficult to understand (especially behind glass) and he's very pushy.

The food (and everything else) is expensive here, but I'm lucky to have dinners included in my rent. The stigma on beef I think has disappeared, and although bird flu is a big concern, it wouldn't actually affect anyone who eats poultry, just those who are in close contact with them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home