Thursday, March 09, 2006

"One for the blog"

Something happen yesterday in the office that was so shocking/funny that one editor said, "Here's one for your blog." No names will be used to protect the dignity of the people involved:

It was nearing the end of the day, and one of the veteran sports guys was looking through my copy of Time Out magazine and just generally chatting it up with people nearby.

Another intern, who just started last week, was frustratingly typing away at a sticky keyboard that had two keys semi-detached. She turned to the sports guy and asked, "Are you doing anything at the moment?"

"No, I'm done for the day," he replied.

"Then could you grab me an ice cream bar from across the street?"

Immediately he snapped back: "Why don't you go **** yourself, my dear?"

The office was in shock, not just of the reply but that this intern would have asked such a question to someone much higher up the ladder.

"But I asked nicely!" she said.


I must say I felt a litte sorry for her, especially after a few people were recounting the incident and having a long laugh about it. The response may have been harsh, but seriously, who asks a question like that after only a few days of working in the office? That would be like a waterboy asking Michael Jordan to go get him a towel.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home